Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Mommy's guilt

Today is quite a hard day for me. I've been up multiple times last night and early this morning attending to my daughter who has a stomach bug. And while my husband's job is flexible enough that he can stay home with our daughter E. when she is sick and can't go to daycare, I am stressed and feeling guilty that I can't stay home with her. My job is fairly flexible and I can take unpaid time off, but I can't work from home and that creates my dilemma.

While I love working for a small company, if I need to take time off, there is nobody to work for me that day and I need to make sure that one other person in the office (my boss) doesn't have appointments or travel plans if I want a day off. Part of my job is to actually BE in the office.

When my daughter is sick, I feel like I should be the one staying with her and comforting her. I guess it's the thing about being a mother - the need to comfort your child when she's not feeling a 100%...

On days like this I start thinking significantly more about working flexible hours / work from home where I can rearrange my day to suit my family's needs. Maybe this day will be one more push I need to actually take this step in the next year or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment